Monday, March 2, 2015

#MicroblogMondays: February farewells

February is finally over. Cue the cheering and wild applause.

I already wrote earlier this month about why February is my least favourite month;  suffice to say it lived up to its reputation. (Case in point: this was the coldest February on record hereabouts, with no day above the freezing mark -- 0C/32F -- and most days in the minus double digits. 'Nuff said.)

But then, on Saturday morning -- the last day of the month -- we got a phone call. I mentioned in my last #MicroblogMondays post that SIL's mother (the grandmother of our two nephews) was not well;  she had been living with illness for some time, but things escalated last week and the family was told that, at best, she had a few more months left. She didn't even last a full week. :( 

That kind of put the month just past into perspective for me. I dislike February -- and it ended on a very sad note. SIL's mother was a very kind lady who treated dh & me like family. She even made Italian goodies specially for dh (much to BIL's chagrin, lol) -- stuff like his mom used to make that's just not in my repertoire. We saw her often at family gatherings for holidays and our nephews' birthdays, etc. I am going to miss her.

But my sadness is nothing compared to what SIL & BIL, our nephews and the rest of the family are going through at the moment. Suddenly, complaining about the cold and snow and cabin fever seems petty by comparison.

You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.  

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    When my mom died, and I was grieving incredibly, my Uncle Jerry--her best friend other than my dad--didn't do anything. He didn't come to the funeral, or send a card etc.

    After a week I called him and I realized, by talking to him that his grief was as acute as mine. I had only known my mom for 40 some odd years. He had known her for 80 and their relationship was as siblings.

    I realized then that the grief of losing a loved one didn't stop at our family's door. Mourn your loss and you will be better able to help your BIL and SIL.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, Loribeth. May your family find peace and comfort as you remember this amazing woman who will forever be part of your lives.

    Thinking of you and your family during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your loss, and that of your BIL and SIL. Part of the grieving is seeing other family members grieve, and that's always hard.

    My increasing awareness of mortality has also made me more reluctant to wish time away - even the tough times. Time is not unlimited and we have no way of knowing how much there is. Hoping that spring brings peace and renewal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, Loribeth. Wishing you love, and peace, and comfort during your family's sadness time.

    If I were there, I'd offer a cup of tea. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, Loribeth. What a terrible end to a hard month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. She sounds like a special lady and glad to hear she opened her love to your DH in a way that was very meaningful, which you seem to have appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sympathies to you and your family. It's always how people make you feel that you remember, isn't it? She sounds like a wonderful woman who brought so much to her famnily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss, Loribeth. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

    Here's hoping that March brings some good things your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss, and for the swiftness of that call after the prognosis. I hope that March is kinder to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete